Periodontal disease, also called gum disease, is a common oral condition that is caused by an infection of the gum tissue. As gum disease progresses from gingivitis to severe gum disease, your teeth may begin to fall out. Gum disease should be addressed as soon as symptoms appear. For more information about gum disease, see below.
– Sometimes, gum disease results from a dry mouth which can be caused by some medications.
– Gum disease can pull your gums away from your teeth, exposing the roots and making your teeth to appear longer than normal.
– Other symptoms of gum disease include a deep red color; frequent bleeding, especially when brushing, flossing or eating; and swelling or tenderness.
– Gum disease can cause your teeth to move out of place, and make them feel loose.
– Gum disease can cause halitosis, also known as bad breath.
If you are concerned about gum disease, make an appointment to see us at Ashburn General Dentistry in Ashburn, Virginia. You can reach us at 703.724.4470. Dr. Amit B. Patel and the rest of our team will ensure you get the healthy smile you desire.